Did you know that the way you look today could play a huge factor in how you’re viewed tomorrow?
Everyone knows that first impressions matter. The way you dress, carry yourself, and make someone feel the first time they meet you will help them form generalizations about who you are.
Catch someone on a day when they look polished and put together, and the generalizations will be much more positive. And when they’re having a bad day? The opposite is true.
Give yourself an advantage both professionally and personally by always following the mindset “dress to impress.”
Keep reading and we’ll give you 8 foolproof ways to ensure you’re looking your best, no matter what.
- Find Your Colors
Give the veins under your wrist a brief glance. Do they look blue, or are they a more greenish hue?
- Looking at the veins in your wrist is one of the most popular ways to determine your skin tone, which tells you what colors look the best on you.
- If you have blue tones in your veins, you’re cool-toned and should wear cooler colors. If you have green tones, warmer colors look better on you. You could also have neutral skin if you notice your veins lean more toward a purple color.
- Another way to determine what colors work for you is to place a color next to the skin on your leg. If the skin appears smooth, the color complements you. If your skin looks ashy, it’s not meant to be.
Understanding the tone of your skin will affect everything from what clothes you should wear to the makeup products you use. It’s well worth it to figure out whether our skin is warm, cool, or neutral before you buy clothes or create outfits.
- Get Your Clothes Tailored
- Even clothes with the best styles and colors won’t look quite right on you if the fit is off. Take in your clothes to be tailored, and every outfit will seem like it was made for you.
- Tailors will alter your clothing to flatter your body shape better than any ready-to-wear item could. Best of all, once an item is tailored, you’ll find that you can wear much more of your wardrobe with it.
- Always Dress Up and Not Down
When in doubt, it’s better to arrive at an event a bit more dressed up than everyone else there. It sends the message that you care.
- Sometimes, though, it’s hard to tell what the dress code will be. On paper, it may say “business casual,” but in practice, people could follow this in several ways.
- If you’re unsure about how formal you should be for an event, use accessories to dress up or dress down your look. Keep a silk scarf and a pair of nicer earrings in your purse in case you’ll have to elevate your look once you arrive.
Small details like tucking in your shirt and cuffing your pants can also change the feel of your outfit.
- Tailor Your Nails to the Occasion
Even though your nails are a small detail in your physical appearance, they receive more attention than you think. People will notice your nails when you shake their hands, use gestures in speech, and every time you adjust your hair.
- Keep your nails appropriate to the occasion, and you’ll find that putting together the rest of your outfit becomes a seamless process.
- For instance, the best nails for a professional setting are usually short and neutral nail colors. However, if you work in a creative setting or are attending an evening event, long press on nails are a perfect way for you to adjust your look as you see fit.
- Focus on Quality over Quantity
- Being fashion-forward is not about following the latest trends or wearing a new outfit every day. The best outfits are created from classic high-quality pieces that can be used in dozens of outfits.
- When choosing the pieces for your outfit, go for pieces that are versatile and timeless. The more ways that you could wear an item, the better.
This isn’t to say that you can’t look put together in trendier clothes. With the right styling, anything can look good. But if you want a surefire way to dress for success, go for items that won’t go out of style in a season or two.
- Match Accessories
- Nothing says well-put-together quite as a cohesive color scheme does. But wearing matching colors can make an outfit too flat or basic.
- Instead, be creative with your clothing, but make your accessories match.
- Tie together different elements of an outfit by wearing a bag, belt, and shoes that are all the same shade. Make sure your accessories complement one another by using pieces that are made from the same material.
- Invest in a nice black handbag with shoes and a belt to match, and you’ll have what you need to instantly level up any outfit.
- Invest in Nice Shoes
- Even though your feet are the furthest away from your face, your shoes are the first thing that people use to form an opinion about you – at least on an unconscious level.
- Make a good first impression by paying attention to what you put on your feet. The shoes you wear should be the focal point of your outfit, with everything else chosen after you’ve decided on what pair you’ll wear.
With the right pair of shoes, you won’t have to spend a fortune on an outfit to look chic.
- Iron Your Clothes
- This tip will transform the way you come across to others without spending a dime.
- Ironing your clothes will level up your appearance for obvious reasons: wrinkles are unprofessional.
However, just about any piece of clothing you own can benefit from an ironing, even if it doesn’t have obvious wrinkles. Your clothes will hang much better on you after they’ve been smoothed out, giving you more confidence and adding that extra something to your look.
- Dress to Impress Your Way
- Whether you’re aiming for a promotion at work or you’re attending a formal social event, the best way you can dress to impress is by being you.
- No matter what outfit you put on, don’t forget to wear confidence, authenticity, and most importantly, a smile.
For more tips to level up your beauty regimen, visit our blog.